Skip to main content

Keeping Elderly Minds Sharp and Active

To stay in line with the last post; as important as it is to eat healthy, it is just as important for elderly adults to stay socially and mentally active!

It is almost a cliché to think about an elderly person sitting in their recliner every day watching their “Soaps”, “Murder She Wrote” or their court room shows for hours on end. This is sometimes what people think of when it comes to the daily activities of an elderly person living independently at home. This would obviously not be healthy and by no means does this happen all of the time. However, it would be easy for someone to get into this habit as it almost gives them an escape from reality and allows them to form “bonds” with characters in the shows. It is critical for them to find other activities to stay happy and healthy and there are many other daily activities that they can do alone or with another person to keep their mind sharp and social skills intact.

It is important for elderly individuals to keep their brains active and alert and learning a new hobby or taking up a craft are both excellent ways for them to do this. These activities help stimulate the brain cells and give the individual a platform to interact with others. Not only can these types of activities provide enjoyment and a sense of positive self-esteem, but they can also help the elderly maintain hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. Each of the following hobbies and activities can be modified to fit the needs of each individual which will allow them to still enjoy being a part of things that make them happy even if they have a physical or mental limitation.

There are numerous activities for seniors to enjoy depending upon their interest and abilities and here are just a few ideas:

·         Drawing
·         Painting
·         Knitting
·         Playing music
·         Scrapbooking
·         Photography

While hobbies and crafts are good ways to ensure mental stimulation and socialization, playing games and solving puzzles are fantastic cognitive activities for elder individuals. The following is a list of games and puzzles that can help engage the brain, thus keeping it stimulated and vital:

·         Dominoes
·         Checkers
·         Chess
·         Card Games
·         Scrabble
·         Bingo
·         Crossword Puzzles
·         Word Search
·         Sudoku

All of these hobbies, crafts, games and puzzles will help the elderly keep their minds sharp, active and alert and keep them actively engaged in life. It is, however, important to remember that these cognitive activities should be age appropriate as it is crucial to maintain the individual’s self-esteem and dignity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story to becoming a Caregiver by Yenda’Me Malia, LNA

I grew up in Claremont, New Hampshire with my mother, father, and older brother, Tony. All of us were healthy, except for Mum, she was always sick. I cannot remember a time in my childhood, or my adulthood when she did not have something wrong with her. She had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, ovarian cancer, and diabetes, to name a few. She fought hard to be well, and, with the exception of all her life-threatening illnesses, she was able to lead a somewhat normal life. There were, however, a lot of trips to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, a lot of check-ups with her general practitioner and a lot of treatments; some common, some experimental, some that could kill her. As a young child in elementary and middle school, I worried about my mother all the time. There were many days I envisioned coming home from school to find her deceased, and it terrified me. When I knew she was having a particularly bad day, I would do extra chores to help her out, so she could rest. I knew, from that young age
Is Home Care the Right Fit? People typically reach a point in life where they either don’t know what to do or feel like they are stuck between two incredibly difficult options, when it comes to what the best choice for an aging loved one would be. Do you put them in an assisted-living facility where they have care 24/7, but risk making them unhappy as they will be living in an unfamiliar and potentially uncomfortable environment? Or do you look to see if there is a different option available that causes less stress and change? Regardless of what decision is made, seeing a family member or loved one age can be a difficult process as there are so many different things to think about and balance. You always want what is best and safest for your loved one, but sometimes it seems like the easiest option would be to put them in a assisted-living facility so they can get around the clock care. However, there is an alternative option out there that minimizes change in one’s life and that

Becoming an LNA By: Angeline J Hemple

Becoming an LNA By: Angeline J Hemple My story in a nutshell on why I feel I am who I am today. When I was a child, I noticed I always had a sensitive side, mostly with Animals. Where I grew up the kids were not so nice so I stuck to myself a lot. But I wanted to be sweet and cheerful and I felt sad because I couldn't be those things. I was told I had to be tough, Not to show my sensitive side so other kids wouldn't think different of me. I lived basically in a wooded area growing up and it was full of life. A place where I could be me. I pretended to be a doctor and would go in the woods and build a fort from whatever I could find. When I finished my task, I would go find nature animals, knowing how dangerous it could be. But I didn't see it like that. I always knew there is a danger in whatever it is you do. But I was not afraid. And that’s where I found my first patient, a baby bird that fell out his nest by the river. I knew the rules if you touch it, mom would n