Skip to main content

I became a caregiver By: Marielle Ross

I became a caregiver out of necessity when my husband died, and I had to sell our business.  I needed to find a job to supplement the social security benefit I was getting as a widow with two young children. I had been driving a bus for the local school as a little side job. A job that was thrust upon me because of the need. It seems good bus drivers are hard to get and hard to keep.

Without any formal education and not having the time to go back to school, I took the LNA course offered by the local nursing home. In six weeks, I was trained and hired by the nursing home. The flexible hours allowed me to be home with my kids during the day and still drive the bus.

I worked there for six months, but their schedule interfered with my school bus schedule, so I left the nursing home and went private. Being bilingual in French and English gave me an advantage in the Northeast Kingdom where the population largely constitutes French-speakers.

After a while, I realized that there was more than could do for the more needy so I went back to school and took the course offered for 2nd level LNA. That gave me the skill I needed to do more hands on care like tube feeding, wound care, straight cath., colostomy care, etc.

I continued this for 20 years until I retired. My kids were now grown and gone so I applied for a permanent position with a health care agency so I could have full time employment, as private duty did not always mean steady work.

I do only live-in help as I work far from home and that fulfills many needs especially my own. I will be doing this until I may be needing the same care. Hopefully, the LNA I may need will be as caring and loving as I was

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring is in the Air... Time to Head Outdoors

Although it may feel like warmer weather will never come, it is right around the corner. With warmer weather, comes the opportunity to get outside, enjoy the fresh air and get exercise. It is important for both the mind and body to be outside and away from the comforts of your own home, as long winters can make it feel like you have been stuck inside for months on end. According to a study completed in 2010, time spent outdoors make people feel “more alive”. This study illustrated that spending time outdoors can lead to an increased sense of energy; which is vitally important for both the mental and physical health of an elderly individual. According to the study done by Richard Ryan, a psychology professor at the University of Rochester, "Nature is fuel for the soul. Often when we feel depleted we reach for a cup of coffee, but research suggests a better way to get energized is to connect with nature." It is evident that spending time outdoors is critical to a full ...

My Story to becoming a Caregiver by Yenda’Me Malia, LNA

I grew up in Claremont, New Hampshire with my mother, father, and older brother, Tony. All of us were healthy, except for Mum, she was always sick. I cannot remember a time in my childhood, or my adulthood when she did not have something wrong with her. She had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, ovarian cancer, and diabetes, to name a few. She fought hard to be well, and, with the exception of all her life-threatening illnesses, she was able to lead a somewhat normal life. There were, however, a lot of trips to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, a lot of check-ups with her general practitioner and a lot of treatments; some common, some experimental, some that could kill her. As a young child in elementary and middle school, I worried about my mother all the time. There were many days I envisioned coming home from school to find her deceased, and it terrified me. When I knew she was having a particularly bad day, I would do extra chores to help her out, so she could rest. I knew, from that young age...

Meet TLC's first client...

Mohamed Basha was just 21 years old when we saw a need in his community and decided to do something about it. “Being a nurse, just seeing what was happening in nursing homes, hospitals, and people leaving the hospital without the care that they need at home... I wanted to get something where we’re serving the community and the seniors not only in their homes, but anywhere else they may live” stated Basha. Sally Dondes is a honorary co-founder of TLC with Mohamed as well as TLC’s first client and dearest friend. “I’m very proud of him. Every night, I still have the little prayer rug up in the cupboard, he would take it out, put it down, and pray. And now his dreams have come true. From nothing, to everything he has now” stated Dondes. Sally noted that the day she had fallen 10 years ago is the same day Mohamed became a nurse and that it was fate. He was always what she needed. To this day, if Sally is in the hospital, Mohamed is the first one personally there assuring that she is wel...