Skip to main content

Aging on the Dirt Road Less Traveled

 By Rosaline Lee, LPN                    

Rural isolation and rugged independence can be barriers to serving seniors in Vermont…
Guy R. lives alone in his home in Calais, Vermont. As I drive down the road to his home, I notice evidence of washouts caused by recent heavy rains.  There is no cell reception or street lights in this area, as in much of Vermont. Guy’s home is a simple farmhouse that has obviously seen better days.  The paint is peeling, the porch is rotting and the lawn is unkempt.

Guy greets me happily and proceeds to tell me the history of how this property is tied to his family. “My grandfather built this place in the 1800’s, just look at the fireplace that he put in, it’s amazing that it’s still standing. I’m still standing too.” His enthusiasm wanes when you see him look around the living room.  He sighs and says, “I know I’m not much of a housekeeper, Betty used to do everything around here. She was a good wife and she put up with me for 56 years.” He moves a cluttered mess of old bills and old medicine bottles off a side table to reveal a dust laden wedding picture of himself and his bride. Guy stares at his gnarled hands and states, “Three generations of us worked this farm and never asked anyone for a penny’s worth of help, I don’t want to start now.”
I look around and imagine what this house looked like when it was a home to a growing family but those days are gone. What is apparent to me is that this man needs some assistance.

Susan, Guy’s daughter, called TLC Homecare two days ago to request homemaking and med reminder services for her dad. She lives in Bennington, Vermont and has a family of her own. It takes her 4 hours round trip to visit her father and help him with cleaning and cooking twice a week but she said that she was becoming overwhelmed. “What will I do in the winter? What if the power goes out again? Last year he was without power for 2 days and had to dig himself out of the house to get wood for the stove.” She sighed, “He’s not taking his pills on time. He’s not washing up like he used to. I’m scared.” I assure her that this is a story I hear often and try to form a plan to provide some support to them both.

The challenges of facilitating aging in place in rural areas are many.  The self-reliance that has carried many of our elders through difficult times often turns into a life threatening behavior. The lure of Vermont’s exquisite rural landscape belies extreme isolation and disconnection from family, community and social services for many. As a home care provider, I must take into account many factors that urban and suburban agencies don’t encounter. Lack of neighborly and family “eyes on,”an essential way for elders to stay safe, is often lacking. Inability to access public transportation means that both the aged and also potential caregivers have limited resources and opportunities. Harsh New England weather conditions can run from an inconvenience to downright deadly in the blink of an eye. Combine those factors with a burgeoning, aged population who is losing their independence and financial stability and you definitely have a maddening cocktail.

There is no easy answer here. But there is hope. The large array of support services available to our seniors is amazing and heartening. As caregivers, we have a duty to work together in order to facilitate distinctive strategies for each of our clients. Collaboration is truly the key. Guy didn’t have to experience seclusion to that extent, and his daughter didn’t have to feel as though she was carrying an overwhelming burden alone.


By connecting Guy and Susan to a local Council on Aging, he was able to access funds to make his home safer and more energy efficient.  Via a senior volunteer program, Guy was able to connect with a local man who gave him a lift to the grocery store once a week. My agency’s tiered fee schedule allowed Guy to afford weekly caregivers to visit and provide housekeeping and personal care. Susan was now able to spend quality time with her father, enjoying his company instead of feeling obligated and overwhelmed. Providing care is a fluid operation, challenges arise and sometimes decisions are painful. But, we have a strong tradition of grit in Vermont; let’s turn it to our favor instead of our determent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story to becoming a Caregiver by Yenda’Me Malia, LNA

I grew up in Claremont, New Hampshire with my mother, father, and older brother, Tony. All of us were healthy, except for Mum, she was always sick. I cannot remember a time in my childhood, or my adulthood when she did not have something wrong with her. She had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, ovarian cancer, and diabetes, to name a few. She fought hard to be well, and, with the exception of all her life-threatening illnesses, she was able to lead a somewhat normal life. There were, however, a lot of trips to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, a lot of check-ups with her general practitioner and a lot of treatments; some common, some experimental, some that could kill her. As a young child in elementary and middle school, I worried about my mother all the time. There were many days I envisioned coming home from school to find her deceased, and it terrified me. When I knew she was having a particularly bad day, I would do extra chores to help her out, so she could rest. I knew, from that young age
Is Home Care the Right Fit? People typically reach a point in life where they either don’t know what to do or feel like they are stuck between two incredibly difficult options, when it comes to what the best choice for an aging loved one would be. Do you put them in an assisted-living facility where they have care 24/7, but risk making them unhappy as they will be living in an unfamiliar and potentially uncomfortable environment? Or do you look to see if there is a different option available that causes less stress and change? Regardless of what decision is made, seeing a family member or loved one age can be a difficult process as there are so many different things to think about and balance. You always want what is best and safest for your loved one, but sometimes it seems like the easiest option would be to put them in a assisted-living facility so they can get around the clock care. However, there is an alternative option out there that minimizes change in one’s life and that

Becoming an LNA By: Angeline J Hemple

Becoming an LNA By: Angeline J Hemple My story in a nutshell on why I feel I am who I am today. When I was a child, I noticed I always had a sensitive side, mostly with Animals. Where I grew up the kids were not so nice so I stuck to myself a lot. But I wanted to be sweet and cheerful and I felt sad because I couldn't be those things. I was told I had to be tough, Not to show my sensitive side so other kids wouldn't think different of me. I lived basically in a wooded area growing up and it was full of life. A place where I could be me. I pretended to be a doctor and would go in the woods and build a fort from whatever I could find. When I finished my task, I would go find nature animals, knowing how dangerous it could be. But I didn't see it like that. I always knew there is a danger in whatever it is you do. But I was not afraid. And that’s where I found my first patient, a baby bird that fell out his nest by the river. I knew the rules if you touch it, mom would n