Skip to main content

Why I chose nursing and how I found TLC. By: Terry DeYoung


I was about 8 years old when I first met Florence Nightingale. Well, it wasn't "THE Florence Nightingale" but I thought for sure she was. The doorbell rang and I ran to the door. A woman wearing a white nurses cap, a long blue flowing cape appeared. The red silk lining shimmered as she glided into the dining room. She whisked the cape off with such a presence, now the white uniform with buttons down the front, white stockings and shoes were visible. I had read about Florence Nightingale so I knew this was special.

My great-grandmother had a stroke and was "bedridden". We were grieving for Rosanna and the new reality of how her life would now be. I don't remember her name but the legacy of caring this nurse exhibited left an indelible impression on me. As years passed my grandmother became ill and again a nurse arrived. I watched and took in all that she did. After each visit, I noticed a difference where a certain peace replaced the palpable fear.

I always remembered these nurses. While in high school I had an opportunity to volunteer at a migrant day care center. This is when I first learned about greater suffering than I had ever witnessed. The babies and children all had scabies and many ills from poor nutrition and lack of health care. I set my mind that I would make a difference even if it was for one person. I studied long and hard in high school and received a Regents Scholarship for nursing from the state of NY. It wasn't a large scholarship but I would make it work. Money wasn't available to me for college besides this scholarship. I researched and found the perfect program, Albany Medical Center School Of Nursing. It was a 3-year program where I would live at the hospital and because tuition was low I could afford to go. I would soon find myself working 10 day stretches beside classes. We were hospital staff from the beginning. Patient care was top notch and no excuses for not following procedures perfectly.

Following my training I found myself drawn to care for the elderly. The seniors in my family were always so special. I appreciated the stories (even after multiple reciting), their patience and outlook on life that I didn't see in people my age. I worked in nursing homes for many years until my children arrived, I opened a retail store and sadly. ...I let my nursing license lapse. Years passed, my husband tragically committed suicide and left me with 4 minor children to raise. I found myself back to my birthplace in Vermont. To help me with my grief I started volunteering at Helen Porter Nursing Facility and Project Independence in Middlebury. I was always thanked and told how much all that I did was appreciated. I volunteered with pastors to do church services at facilities as I am also a pianist, organist music director at various churches over the years. It just wasn't enough I wanted to be more involved. I knew too much time had passed to get my nursing license back. An acquaintance told me about an agency in Rutland that might hire me as a caretaker. I went in, interviewed and had the job. The pay wasn't great but it was a place to start.

A text arrived "Terry, we need you to fill in for someone. The client is ambulatory, needs minimal assistance to the bathroom and can feed herself, just make her lunch"

I arrived at the client's home, she was lying in a makeshift bed, incontinent, she had been fed earlier on her back (food still in her mouth). Her breathing was very labored, diagnosis COPD, and she was not alert. My training kicked in. I IMMEDIATELY called the agency and said I need to speak with the nurse in charge. I was advised we don't have a nurse today. We have one in Manchester but she's busy. Send her a text and she will get back to you if she feels it is necessary......I never received a text. I spoke with her family and she was taken to the emergency room. The lack of care and follow up for this client by this agency was appalling. I told them I cannot work for you!

It sickened me to think this could be the way home care was in Vermont. I started talking to nurses, my daughter who is an RN, and anyone I thought might have had contact with an agency. I did this for a couple months. There had to be someplace better. One day I found myself sitting at the dentists getting my teeth cleaned. I figured I will ask the hygienist if she knows anyone who works or knows about a good agency. She said YES! She introduced me to a young woman who worked at TLC. I asked her first. ....are there ANY nurses that oversee client care, is there continuity of care and tell me anything you can think of about TLC. I received all the answers I was looking to hear. ....yes, there are nurses, they will talk to you, clients progress is monitored, client progress and the decline in health is addressed AND the pay is great!

I went home, looked up TLC in Rutland and made an appointment to meet Jess.....THE CEO WAS A NURSE...WOW! The head of the first company I worked for was a manager from the Fashion Bug, no nursing background. What a breathe of the fresh air....a nurse in charge!

I found a place to not just "work" but where I could make a difference for someone. Even holding a client's hand, kind words of encouragement were met with that same peace I had seen in my grandmother and great-grandmother when "Florence Nightingale" came to visit our home so many years ago. The giving had come full circle!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story to becoming a Caregiver by Yenda’Me Malia, LNA

I grew up in Claremont, New Hampshire with my mother, father, and older brother, Tony. All of us were healthy, except for Mum, she was always sick. I cannot remember a time in my childhood, or my adulthood when she did not have something wrong with her. She had Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, ovarian cancer, and diabetes, to name a few. She fought hard to be well, and, with the exception of all her life-threatening illnesses, she was able to lead a somewhat normal life. There were, however, a lot of trips to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, a lot of check-ups with her general practitioner and a lot of treatments; some common, some experimental, some that could kill her. As a young child in elementary and middle school, I worried about my mother all the time. There were many days I envisioned coming home from school to find her deceased, and it terrified me. When I knew she was having a particularly bad day, I would do extra chores to help her out, so she could rest. I knew, from that young age

Spring is in the Air... Time to Head Outdoors

Although it may feel like warmer weather will never come, it is right around the corner. With warmer weather, comes the opportunity to get outside, enjoy the fresh air and get exercise. It is important for both the mind and body to be outside and away from the comforts of your own home, as long winters can make it feel like you have been stuck inside for months on end. According to a study completed in 2010, time spent outdoors make people feel “more alive”. This study illustrated that spending time outdoors can lead to an increased sense of energy; which is vitally important for both the mental and physical health of an elderly individual. According to the study done by Richard Ryan, a psychology professor at the University of Rochester, "Nature is fuel for the soul. Often when we feel depleted we reach for a cup of coffee, but research suggests a better way to get energized is to connect with nature." It is evident that spending time outdoors is critical to a full
Is Home Care the Right Fit? People typically reach a point in life where they either don’t know what to do or feel like they are stuck between two incredibly difficult options, when it comes to what the best choice for an aging loved one would be. Do you put them in an assisted-living facility where they have care 24/7, but risk making them unhappy as they will be living in an unfamiliar and potentially uncomfortable environment? Or do you look to see if there is a different option available that causes less stress and change? Regardless of what decision is made, seeing a family member or loved one age can be a difficult process as there are so many different things to think about and balance. You always want what is best and safest for your loved one, but sometimes it seems like the easiest option would be to put them in a assisted-living facility so they can get around the clock care. However, there is an alternative option out there that minimizes change in one’s life and that